Saturday, November 29, 2008

A Snowman Kit

My brother text me this afternoon and asked if I had enough Christmas shopping done for them to maybe come for a visit next weekend. Ummm, well, maybe? I'm so close on my Boise stuff, so I said "Sure!" So we'll see if they are able to arrange it or not, not even sure who the "they" are, but family nonetheless!

So in a hurry to bust out some gifts needing to be finished, I whipped this up tonight for my brothers soon-to-be kids. I started on Thurs by painting the nose orange, then Friday I clear coated it, hopefully it will stand up to the winter wetness. This comes for a Mary Englebright craft book. Here's the finished kit:

The eyes, mouths and buttons are made out of craft foam, bought in single sheets per color. To attach them to the snowman, you punch a small hole into the center, then I took black pipe cleaners, twisted them (fold in half to make two sides) and put the rounded end through the hole. Secure with an adhesive meant to get wet, I used outdoor decoupage glue.

The nose is a Styrofoam cone, shaved a little to look like a carrot, paint it orange and clear coat depending on the paint used. Use a narrow screwdriver to punch a hole in the middle of the end, and feed and glue a pipe cleaner to secure it to the snowman.

The scarf was made from scrap felt, cut to a good length. For the ends, cut up about 1 inch every 1/2 inch or smaller. Then stretch them out one at a time and they will coil, giving a fun look.

I mail ordered the stovetop hat from Oriental Trading because I had a hard time finding anything not plastic. The book suggested to look at costume stores. To keep it on the snowman, I punched two holes close together on each side, then threaded a pipe cleaner through and twisted the two ends together.



I still have to finish one scrapbook (5 months & cover page), Mom's 12 days hanging and two stockings. EEEKK!

No comments: